I’m an Australian-born entrepreneur with a passion for helping founders build great products (and companies).
I started coding when I was 12 (it wasn’t very good code) and have always had a passion for building technology products and companies. This turned into my first enterprise in high-school, coding video games in my bedroom and selling them through computer magazine ads. I’m still coding.
I have extensive experience as a CTO, VP Product, VP Engineering and Founder focused on building and growing digital products and services.
Some highlights are:
- Founded and exited 3 startups.
- Advisor to more than 30 companies, raising over $200m in funding and assisting in 10 acquisitions by companies such as Zynga, Facebook and AOL.
- Lead Engineer/CTO on MinoMonsters, an iOS/Android game achieving more than 15 million downloads and #1 grossing rank in 22 countries.
- Founder and CTO of Playcraft Labs: an HTML5 game engine with 15,000 developers (acquired by MinoGames in February 2013).
- Vice President of Product at chat service migme, helping it grow to 50 million users.
- Managed a team of 45 as Founder & CTO of Dot Communications (acquired by Clarity in 2007).
- Founder of Intercom, one of Australia’s first ISPs.
- Wrote the books J2ME Game Programming and Java ME Game Programming.
I have twenty-five years of experience working on technology products, twelve of those spent in Silicon Valley.
I also the founded the Aussie Mafia over beers with Dean McEvoy in 2009. It’s an organization that has helped and guided over a thousand Australian entrepreneurs in their transition to Silicon Valley.
I sit on the board of the Young Men’s Ultimate Weekend, an organization dedicated to helping young men succeed in the world through adventure and fun.
I currently reside in both Hillsborough, California and Sydney, Australia with my wife, Julia, and our children Bella, Blake and Ryan, and our latest arrival, Amadeus!
You can more about me on a recent Startup Playbook podcast interview.